Intro To Steel (I2S) Match – 4th Sunday of Every Month
Match Directors – Rob & Kippi Leatham
Please register on PRACTISCORE & select start time.
Practiscore.com now REQUIRES an account to register for events.
Once logged in, search matches for “Leatham” to find I2S.
Once registered for I2S, select your START TIME
on your Practiscore Management Page.
Multiple I2S Start Times Are Listed Below
(hours vary based on time of year):
7:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. – (Summer – April through September)
8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. – (Winter – October through March)
*** NEW Registration Policy ***
$5 NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT is now required to register for the I2S Match.
Please bring the remaining balance in CASH to finalize registration on the day of the event.
We were having too many no-shows taking slots from others who wanted to shoot.
MDs and I2S ROs – please email me for your registration “comp” code.
MANDATORY Safety Briefing for NEW Shooters without a PSSC card
or TNS shooters with Novice, U or D classifications w/o PSSC card.
8:00 a.m. (Summer)
9:00 a.m. (Winter)
Match Entry Fee – $15.00 Guests, $10.00 RSSC Members
I2S INTRODUCTION & PURPOSE: Welcome to the Rio Salado Sportsmans Club (RSSC) Practical Division. We’re excited that you are interested in competing in our Practical Shooting Matches! RSSC’s Practical Division wants to provide a friendly, encouraging and informative environment for those who want to compete, and more importantly, we want them to get started on the right foot.
If you are a competent shooter with no practical pistol experience, this match is designed just for you. You don’t have to be a good shot, just safe!
OUR I2S MATCH IS FOR:
- Individuals who have a good working KNOWLEDGE of their pistol;
- Individuals who already KNOW how to SAFELY LOAD, SHOOT, RELOAD and UNLOAD their pistol;
- Individuals who want to begin attending Practical Shooting Matches;
- IF YOU HAVE NEVER SHOT A PISTOL or are inexperienced with your gun, unfortunately, this is not the place to begin. The good news is, we have many instructors at RSSC who are available to assist you with your progress. Once you are proficient and safe with your pistol, we hope to see you back at the I2S Match! Please reference the RSSC website for a list of Instructors to further your firearms knowledge:
NEW I2S SHOOTERS:
- DOWNLOAD, print & review the I2S SAFETY Guide & WAIVER. Waiver is required if you are NOT a RSSC Member.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD: I2S Safety Guide & WAIVER
- RECOMMENDED – Dry fire practice the safety techniques PRIOR to attending I2S.
- Attend the Safety Briefing, unless you have your PSSC card.
8:00 a.m during Summer. 9:00 a.m. during Winter.
- BRING the outline and waiver with you to the match.
- PASS the safety quiz.
- PASS the equipment check.
- Practical Division wanted to host a MATCH to introduce shooters to basic competition, in a low-key environment, with simple, straight forward stages.
- Great way to REINFORCE the BASICS of handgun SAFETY and INTRODUCE yourself to match etiquette and practical shooting.
- Serves as a stepping stone between Rio’s monthly .22 Pistol Match and the weekly Tuesday Night Steel, Action Shooting 101 Matches and all other Practical Matches.
- 4th Sunday of every month (Check RSSC calendar for cancellations due to annual events).
- Please PREREGISTER on practiscore.com by Saturday evening before the match to guarantee your start time. Go to UPCOMING MATCHES and search for “Leatham” to find the Intro To Steel Match.
- Start Times (October – March) 8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Start Times (April – September) 7:00 a.m., 8:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
- Please check the RSSCAZ.com calendar to verify the season and for cancellations.
- PRACTICAL PISTOL Bays 1 & 2 at Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club
- EYE and EAR protection.
- 100 rounds of ammunition.
- PISTOL – 9mm centerfire or larger caliber is required; either Semi Auto or Revolver. Pistol should be carried in a shooting bag or a case that zips / latches closed. The pistol should be in safe working order with the manufacturer safeties functioning. Please note however that this is NOT a match for small, concealment pistols. You MUST have a pistol that is suitable for competition, i.e. a USPSA Open, Limited, 1911 Single Stack or Production gun. Revolvers must be 6, 7 or 8 shot. In general, handguns with a barrel length LESS than 4 inches are not legal for competition. Please reference the USPSA Production Gun list for the few exceptions: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php
- BELT – a belt rigid enough to hold magazine pouches and a holster. Belt must go through a minimum of 3 belt loops. A typical dress belt is not recommended. Even if you do not yet have DRAW STATUS, a belt and holster are required to carry your gun.
- MAGAZINE POUCHES (recommended) & MAGAZINES – Magazines and speed loading devices must be carried on the belt in approved retention devices (magazine pouches). We suggest 3-4 standard capacity or 2-3 high capacity magazines and pouches. Speed loaders are required for revolvers. Mag pouches are not required until you have draw status.
- Even if you do not yet have DRAW STATUS, a belt and holster are required to carry your gun.
- Holster must be SNUGGLY SECURED at waist with a BELT. The belt must pass through a minimum of 3 belt loops. Holster should not move on the belt when drawing or holstering gun. A 2-Belt system is also allowed, where the inner belt passes through the belt loops.
- Holster must be worn on competitor’s STRONG side.
- Holster Position – While competitor is standing relaxed and the gun is in the holster, the muzzle of the gun must be pointed down toward the ground (within 3 feet of the competitors feet).
- A holster must completely PREVENT access to, or activation of, the trigger of the handgun while the gun is holstered.
- NOT ALLOWED – Shoulder, cross-draw, pocket, tie down or fanny pack holsters!
Inside-the-waistband holsters are not recommended.
I2S does NOT allow any holster that utilizes a trigger finger to manipulate any retention device, i.e. Blackhawk Serpa.
- USPSA, IPSC, IDPA or NRA Action Pistol approved HOLSTER is REQUIRED for “DRAW STATUS“.
- Bring your UNLOADED handgun in a carrying case that zips / latches closed or in a range bag.
- RSSC is a COLD RANGE. Handle your firearm ONLY in a SAFETY AREA or on the shooting line under the direct command of a Range Official – NOT in your vehicle or anywhere else!
- Remember – Handling of magazines or ammo in the safety areas is NOT allowed.
Draw Status is NOT required to shoot the Intro To Steel Match. To obtain “Draw Status”, which allows you to draw your loaded gun during the matches, you must pass the Practical Shooting Starter Course (PSSC). Click on the link to get more information on the fun and informative PSSC offered by RSSC. ====>> PSSC Info
- 4 ALL-STEEL Stages!
- Multiple runs on each stage!
- Stages require no more than 6 hits per string/run (not including optional, bonus targets).
- START POSITION FOR NO-DRAW Shooters – Gun will start ON TABLE or at LOW READY (WITH EXTERNAL SAFETY ENGAGED / DE-COCKED, IF APPLICABLE) AND TRIGGER FINGER VISIBLY OUTSIDE OF THE TRIGGER GUARD).
- No RELOADING required during the Course of Fire (COF).
COMPETITOR CLASSIFICATIONS AND SCORING:
- NOVICE Competitors are new competitors, unclassified TNS shooters and new PSSC graduates. Competitors are NOVICE until they have safely completed 3 matches at I2S. NOVICE competitors DO NOT HAVE “DRAW STATUS” at I2S unless they have successfully completed the Practical Shooting Starter Course (PSSC).
- UNCLASSIFIED Competitors – Participants who have safely completed THREE or more Intro To Steel Events or are classified D class at TNS.
UNCLASSIFIED competitors DO NOT HAVE “DRAW STATUS” at I2S unless they have successfully completed the PSSC .
- CLASSIFIED Competitors – MUST be classified by a recognized COMPETITIVE ACTION / PRACTICAL PISTOL organization: USPSA, IPSC, IDPA, ICORE, SASS – OR — Tuesday Night Steel (TNS – C class or higher).
I2S recognizes a competitor’s HIGHEST classification.
All CLASSIFIED competitors have “DRAW STATUS” and will draw from the HOLSTER at I2S.
- SCORING – Novice Shooters (for FIRST 3 I2S MATCHES) AND NO-DRAW SHOOTERS – KEEP only their BEST run on each stage – (New PSSC grads are eligible for this scoring for their first 3 I2S matches ONLY.)
- SCORING – All other shooters THROW OUT their WORST run & KEEP all remaining runs.
HOW DOES A COMPETITOR MOVE UP IN CLASS AT I2S?:
- Novice Class – New competitors are classified as Novice UNTIL they have safely completed 3 Intro To Steel Matches. New PSSC graduates may also shoot as novice at the first 3 I2S matches.
- Unclassified Class – Novice competitors advance to Unclassified AFTER safely completing 3 Intro To Steel Matches.
- D Class – Unclassified competitors voluntarily advance to D Class if / when they have competed as Unclassified 6 times or won Unclassified 3 times.
- GM, A, B and C Classes – To advance to a higher level class, you must win 3 matches in your current division / class. Competitor is responsible for tracking his/her progress.
QUESTIONS?: Contact Kippi at firstname.lastname@example.org
MATCH ASSISTANTS: John Catalano, Brad Perkinson, Joe Hannis, Debbie Keehart, Brett & Christine Berg, Dan Sherman and Mark Gardner – Just to name a few!
We couldn’t do this without you – Thank you for all of your help!